Red Black Eyes and Banana
This is an African dish that I have adapted and made my own! Bold spices and sweet bananas from West Africa right in your own kitchen. Cream tomato and savory black eyes with a coconut friend plantain! Make sure to share with the people you love. Fresh is always best.
- 1 onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 cloves garlic (freshly chopped)
- ½ teaspoon fresh grated ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 firm plantains
- 28 ounce tomato (fire roasted)
- 15 ounce can black eyes (drain and rinse, fresh sea salt to taste)
- 1 tablespoon butter (optional)
- 1 cup rice milk
Heat ½ tbs. butter to a large skillet on medium heat.
Add onion and cook 10m in, or nutil browned and tender.
Add garlic, ginger and cayenne and stir 1 minute.
Add tomato and peas and bring to simmer. Cook 15 minutes or until peas tender. Add milk, salt and cut heat.
Meanwhile, in a sauce skillet melt other 1.2 tbs. butter. Reduce heat to med, add banana and cook no more than 5 min until golden brown or both sides. Gently flipping halfway through cooking. Serve banana a top (alongside black eyes in a deep bowl!)