Chicken Pico with Black Beans
I am a working mother who is passionate about food not only for taste but for nutrition as well. My husband and I cook dinner six to seven days a week. With both of us working, we plan in advance and usually spend 20 to 30 minutes preparing dinner. We also prepare some meals in advance and freeze them. In particular, I make chicken nuggets and freeze them for our son.
(This is an easy and quick meal packed with nutrition. I usually make extra Pico to put on a salad, in a quesadilla with leftover black beans or on scrambled eggs.) This recipe can also be made with flank steak.
- 4 chicken breasts
- 8 Roma tomatoes diced
- ½ cup purple onions finely diced
- ¼ cup cilantro roughly chopped
- 1 small can green chilies
- 1 lime
- 1 can black beans (or dried, but requires more time)
- A few ears fresh corn
- 1 package taco seasoning
- Pinch of salt and pepper (to taste)
Pico-mix tomatoes, purple onions and cilantro together, squeeze ¼ of the lime and season with salt and pepper, set aside
Preheat your grill or set your oven to 375°.
Rinse chicken breast and pat dry with paper towel. Spray the chicken breast lightly with Pam and lightly sprinkle seasoning on the chicken.
Shuck your corn and spray lightly with Pam and season with salt and pepper.
Open can of black beans and simmer on medium heat with the green chilies, season with taco mix (or whatever you have on hand, Tonys works great too).
Place your chicken and corn on grill on direct heat and cover after 6 minutes. Turn both the corn and chicken over for another 4-6 minutes, and then remove from grill to rest.
Once the chicken has rested, slice and serve over the beans with pico on top and corn on the side. This is enough for six servings.
- Mixed grilled vegetables over brown rice
- Prep ahead chicken nuggets/or chicken parmesanStuffed chicken breast with roasted tomatoes
- Chick Pea Salad
- Whole wheat pasta with tomatoes and spinach
- Fish tacos
- Grilled fish or broiled with veggies and fancy brown rice
- Grilled or broiled eggplant parmesan
- Grilled chicken sandwich with oven-baked fries