Did you know that one in five children is overweight or obese by the age of six? Encouraging healthy eating and physical activity early in life is vital to reversing the childhood obesity epidemic within a generation. Let's Move! Child Care is a set of best practices that can help turn the tide on these numbers.
- Physical Activity: Provide 1-2 hours of physical activity throughout the day, including outside play when possible.
- Screen Time: No screen time for children under 2 years. For children age 2 and older, strive to limit screen time to no more than 30 minutes per week during child care, and work with parents and caregivers to ensure children have no more than 1-2 hours of quality screen time per day (as recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics).
- Food: Serve fruits or vegetables at every meal, eat meals family-style whenever possible, and don't serve fried foods.
- Beverages: Provide access to water during meals and throughout the day, and don't serve sugary drinks. For children age 2 and older, serve low-fat (1%) or non-fat milk, and no more than one 4- to 6-ounce serving of 100% juice per day.
- Infant Feeding: For mothers who want to continue breastfeeding, provide their milk to their infants and welcome them to breastfeed during the child care day. Support all new parents' decisions about infant feeding.
Information from Let's Move! Child Care